Saturday, 11 October 2014

In Pursuit of Happiness

I've been doing a lot of thinking recently, about what actually makes me happy.  I am happy in general, but what would make me happier?  More time to write, lots of money..?  Those would help, but I wanted to concentrate on the things that I could realistically achieve in the next few months.

The first item on my happiness list was my job.  I am a community support worker, and even though I enjoy the job, it's not what I want to do forever.  I don't wake up in the morning thinking 'Yeah, I've got work today!'  So I asked myself, what job would make me think like that?  The answer... work in a book shop!  Some people might think I'm crazy, especially with the job market being how it is at the moment, but I am now planning to leave my current job and find a job in a book shop.

A major block in my way of happiness is stress.  I get stressed because I give myself challenges and tasks that are almost impossible to achieve, which is bad for productivity.  So another goal on my way to happiness is to give myself smaller, more achievable goals.  I was going to have another crack at NaNoWriMo this year - 50,000 words in 30 days.  I've only achieved it twice in five attempts.  So, I've decided to create my own NaNo challenge this year.  I am challenging myself to write 10 short stories in 30 days.  That's a short story every 3 days.  It's still a challenge, but smaller and more achievable for me at the moment.

What small, achievable goals could you set for yourself to increase your happiness?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer, thanks for following on goodreads, and good luck in your search for a job in a book shop. You could then promote your own writing. Believe, and it will happen.

    ReplyDelete