Monday, 8 December 2014

Author Interview: Augustine Nash


Augustine Nash is a 77 year old prolific author of over 25 books.  She has been writing for over twenty years' and her work spans many genres including historical, murder-mystery, romance, comedy and fantasy.  Her novel Shadow of the Eagle was entered for the Booker Prize in 2001.  She has been one of my favourite authors for a few years now, and it is with great excitement that I get to interview her for my blog.

  • Your latest novel, The Last Rose of Summer has just been released.  Where did the idea for the book come from?
My new book The Last Rose of Summer is a sad love story set during World War I and II. I was prompted to write this book by an article which I read on the internet, so the result is a mixture of fact and fiction.


  • What was the time-frame for writing the book?
There was no real time frame for this book, I actually wrote when the ideas began to flow.
  • Where do you write from?
I write from my home, in the living room on my computer. I write from my armchair because I am disabled.

  • Have you got a writing routine?
My routine is generally to write for one to three hours in the afternoon. I sometimes need to do a lot of research at points in my writing as and when it becomes necessary, using my computer. Sometimes ideas for and within a story come to me  from other reading or even conversations with others.

  • Who was your favourite character to write, and why?
Black Eagle the Indian was my favourite character in my book ‘Shadow of the Eagle’. He was a prominent character in the History of the North American Indians. He was proud and fearless and fought a desperate battle to save his people when they were ordered  from their natural environment into a reservation, pursued by the American army on their flight to Canada to obtain their freedom which ended in tragedy and has gone down in history.

  • What is your favourite book to read by another author, and why?
  I like Stephen King’s macabre books, because he chooses unusual subjects and from start to finish the reader feels the fear and tension growing throughout. Several of his books have been made into very successful films.

  • Tell us something surprising about yourself...
Perhaps the most surprising aspect of my writing is that I left school aged 14 years with no qualifications. Three years ago at the age of 75 I decided to do an external English ‘O’ level and succeeded – probably to prove to myself that I could do it, since I was told by my teacher in Primary School that I would never amount to anything - an unjust comment which has stayed with me all my life.

  • What are you working on now/next?
At the moment I have not started a new book as I am researching to find a new subject for a story.

  • What is the best piece of writing advice you can give?
If you are certain you wish to become a writer be prepared for your books to be rejected often.  However, if you have a dream of one day seeing your name ‘in lights’ keep at it however long it takes – you may need to overcome your disappointment many times but always have faith in yourself and look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Take heart that after ten years of rejections my first book was published and was entered for the Booker Prize competition which gave me a big thrill.

Thank you Augustine, for taking the time to do this interview.

You can find a link below to her latest novel, The Last Rose of Summer and I strongly suggest taking a look at her website, where I promise you will find one of your next favourite reads.



Augustine's website is at: http://www.augustinenashbooks.co.uk/










No comments:

Post a Comment