Friday, 3 April 2015

Dear Friend,

One of my New Years' resolutions was to write more letters.  Not emails or Facebook messages, but handwritten letters.

I love receiving a handwritten letter through the letterbox.  I like to analyse the handwriting to see if I can guess who it is from before I open it.  There's nothing better for me than curling up with a cup of coffee and a letter from a friend.

So, I decided to write some letters, with the hope of getting some back.  One Saturday afternoon last month, I sat at my kitchen table with some crisp white paper, envelopes and stamps.  When I was in school, I used to write letters to my best friend and send them to her house, even though I saw her every day.  She still has that bundle of letters, so I thought I'd add to it nearly fifteen years later.  I also thought that my Gran might appreciate a handwritten letter, so I wrote one for her.  The last person on my letter-list was my little sister.  She's only ten, but like me, she has a love of writing, so I thought it might give her something to do while she was off school.

For the next few days I was rushing to the door every time the postman arrived, expecting to find a letter or two addressed to me.  Unfortunately, the only letters addressed to me were bills and statements.  I resisted the urge to send off a quick text asking if they had received my letters.  That would defeat the whole point, wouldn't it?

A week later, I received a Facebook message from my friend, 'I received your letter, LOL.'  I was greatly disappointed.  My sister Skyped me, telling me she had received hers, and my Gran sent me a text message.

I'm not going to let it stop me from writing letters.  I'm going to inundate my loved ones with handwritten accounts of my week, every week until they start replying, via a handwritten letter and not Facebook, text message or Skype.  Or, they'll move house and not tell me...

No comments:

Post a Comment