Thursday, 22 October 2015

Head Space

This post is all about organisation, de-cluttering and finding some head space so that you can concentrate on your writing.
I decided last weekend that I needed to have a massive clear out.  I'm quite monkey-minded when it comes to my writing, and it effects my productivity - so, tidy house, tidy mind.

I bought a book called The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying by Marie Kondo.  She is the creator of the KonMari Method and this book explains the concept.  To summarise the book, you have to basically throw anything away that doesn't inspire joy for you, and instead of sorting by location, sort by category (clothes, then books, then paperwork, etc).  This is hard, especially when you have two children and a hoarder husband, but I gave it my best shot.

I ended up with over 20 black bin bags and six boxes full of  'stuff' to be thrown away.  I can't tell you how good it feels.  I feel lighter, and the house gave a huge sigh of relief.  I completed all that in two days, then spent another two days cleaning.  Now, with only things that inspire joy around me, I'm much better able to concentrate on my work.  It has also made housework a lot faster to get through, because I'm not having to move clutter to clean or tidy clutter away - so I get more time to write!

Do you have any de-cluttering or cleaning tips to share?


No comments:

Post a Comment