Tuesday, 6 October 2015

Magic

I'm reading Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert, and I feel like I'm reading a letter from an old friend, or a younger me.

In my teens and early twenties, I saw ideas as magical entities, like fairies that floated around until you caught them and did something with them.  I had the notion that writing was magical - that magic played a big part in how ideas came to me.  Over the past decade, I've had to grow up, and during that growing up, I've lost that notion.  Don't get me wrong, writing still feels magical, but I have lost that feeling that magic is involved and the hard slog has taken over.  When I was 'on a roll', or 'in the zone', when the writing just flowed, I used to think of it like fairy dust had been sprinkled all over my keyboard, pen or notebook.  That was inspiration.

I love the way Gilbert talks about ideas and inspiration.  It's inspiring to me. Reading this book made me realise that I wasn't the only one to think of writing and ideas in a magical way.  If you haven't read Big Magic yet, I'd highly recommend it.

I still firmly believe that hard slog has a huge part to play in getting work done.  I'm a scientific type of person and don't necessarily believe that 'magic' is real.  It's just a nice way to think of it - don't you think?




No comments:

Post a Comment